List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: SPLASH
From:       "Torsten Rahn" <tackat () t-online ! de>
Date:       2004-08-04 11:48:08

> WOW... :(
>
> whats was wrong in my splash?

There was nothing wrong with your splash. It's certainly one of the best
splash screens and my personal favourite if I had to choose independently
from the KDE style and branding itself. It looks very very professional and
if it is still possible we will try to get it into KDE 3.3 as an alternative
splash screen (which is difficult due to the fact that the freeze is rising
in CVS and it's harder to commit stuff each day).

The reason that it wasn't chosen as the default splash screen is probably
related to the fact that the chosen splash screen integrates better with the
remaining style. While your very blueish splash-screen with its variation of
the default icon theme is excellent on its own the other splash makes much
closer use of the existing colorscheme and original icons. And then there is
the problem that the splash showed an object that is very close to a logo in
terms of appearance which might put us in danger of soaking our official KDE
logo.

Anyways we had a huge amount of high quality contributions such as:

http://www.os11.com/splash7.asp

http://digilander.libero.it/m4rt/3.3proposal.png

http://muse.19inch.net/~jr/tmp/kde33/kde33-3.JPG

(which had problems related to usage of real-world-photos (which conflict
with the remaining KDE style), logo-resemblance, etc.)

and I hope that the authors of the other splash screens don't feel too much
discouraged that they weren't chosen this time. I'm sure that if these
people will actively contribute to KDE 3.4 / 4.0 we will see the most
professional looking desktop ever.
For the next release we will have a corporate identity guide in place but I
felt that we would get much more interesting and much more creative results
this times if we wouldn't suggest any limitations in advance.

Greetings,
Torsten Rahn

Dňa St 4. August 2004 06:17 Jonathan Riddell napísal:

http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdebase/ksplashml/pics/themes/defa