List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: License mess
From:       Kenneth Wimer <wimer () suse ! de>
Date:       2004-03-19 22:53:15

Hi all,

Here the latest news. I talked to a lawyer (Christopher De Nicolo) who
is working for SUSE while making his Doctor (with an emphasis on Open
Source Software). I explained the situation to him as it is and he
agreed that what I have done is not really sound legally speaking. We
will definitly change the license of the AI files.

I do not wish to release these files in a proprietary format nor do I
wish to encourage people to use commercial applications although I
must unfortunately admit that they are often much better than those in
the open source world (at least for vector graphics).

I do want people to download the files and create SVG versions of them.
I will release all SVGs made from these files as LGPL - until we have
fixed this is the best I can offer.

Please...if everyone would spen as much time fixing these small problems
as complaining about the licensing then we would get much further. I
will fix the licensing problems.

bye,
ken

P.S. I have a dream that all of these files are fixed before the lawyer
answers :-)
--
Kenneth W. Wimer - SUSE Linux - Nuernberg, Germany