List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: KDE Icons
From:       Andreas Schlapbach <schlpbch () iam ! unibe ! ch>
Date:       2004-03-03 21:39:04

Dear K-Artisits

I would like to make a strong point for Everaldo's sixth point. The issue at
stake is not about open source versus closed source, it's about art.

Creating a icon set is like creating a typeface. If one letter doesn't match,
it ruins the whole font, if the kerning isn't right, the font is unusable.
This is what distinguish great typography from the average fonts you get for
free everywhere. In a perfect font face everything matches, the kerning is
just right and it looks and feels just perfect.

Look a Univers. It was created by one person with a strict vision of how a
font face has to be. If there would have been many people working one it, it
would have been a set of letters without an overall concept and design in
mind. This is patchwork, but not art.

I think Everaldo has a vision of how to create great icon sets. Let him
realize his vision. We don't want patchwork, we want art.

Andreas

--
Andreas Schlapbach		PhD student
Artifical Intelligence Group