List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: Crystal SVG!
From:       Ante Wessels <vitanova2 () softhome ! net>
Date:       2004-03-02 14:11:04

Everaldo,

On Martes 02 Marzo 2004 04:55, Everaldo wrote:
> I would really like if  you and the others that are criticizing my work

We are not criticizing your work, only the fact that you do not release your
sources.

> sent me your svg files

You are the initiator of the project. Often people follow the example of the
initiator. If you do not release sources, other artists think the sources are
not so important. If you want sources, start with releasing your sources.

> About my svg files  I will release it.
> I am just awaiting KDE supports adobe illustrator SVGs

This problem can only be investigated properly if the sources are available.

Also, the sources are not only needed for displaying icons. They are also
needed for icon making.
- To make an icon, often templates and elements from other icons are needed.
- Sometimes a png size is missing, then you need the svg to render it from.
- Sometimes kde only has an older svg version.

Not having the sources is causing a lot of extra work.

Before the release of kde 3.2 developers ran scripts to see which crystal
icons were missing. Many were missing. So artists started working on these
bugs. They were hindered by the fact that many vector sources are missing.

fi Frank Karlitschek, creator of kde-look.org, wrote:
"The problem is that in KDE 3.2 still a lot of icons are from the old hicolor
theme. I made many icons in the last few month to make 3.2 as complete and
consistent as possible by combining and modifying existing PNGs. But this is
very difficult and time consuming. It would be great for KDE if the motivated
and talented developers and artists on kde-artists and kde-look.org would be
able to help to create the missing icons. But the sourcefiles of the base
crystal icons are needed. You are harming KDE if you and everaldo become
indispensable."

Chris was at a certain moment recreating vector icons from pixel icons. Very
hard work, and senseless since the vectors already exists - if only you would
have released them.

Without vector sources it is very hard to maintain the Crystal icon set.

Frans Englich wrote a script to collect all the svg sources in kde cvs, so
that daily snapshots can be made available to everyone. I call upon every
artist to send his svg sources to kde. This is of course much more effective
than sending sources to you - it would cause you extra work, and you do not
distribute them. So, once again, I really ask you to cooperate, and release
your sources. As it is now, you are keeping kde in lock. In open source, the
sources are needed. Only if the sources are available people can work
together. In my opinion, your reasons for not releasing your sources are not
valid.

Cordialemente,

Ante

******
The most up to date info for kde artists can be found at the wiki:
http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Artists
old:
http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Artists

Scripts for kde artists, like svg2png4kde, add border, add drop shadow, change
filename, file conversion:
http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita/linux/index.html

Web course italian, poem generator, poetry, stories and visual art:
http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita