List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: icon guide
From:       "luciash d' being" <luci () ground ! cz>
Date:       2004-02-01 1:13:43

On Saturday 31 January 2004 13:10, Ante Wessels wrote:
> In my opinion, the sources should be downloadable too. At the moment most
> are in kdelibs/pics/crystalsvg. Many are in the apps. I understand they
> have to ship with the apps. But it is almost impossible to get to all the
> sources, I wouldn't know how, and a question about it here was never
> answered - nobody knows? If artists can not get to the sources, how on
> earth can we expect them to work on them??
>
> Making the sources available is more important than a style guide.

I agree :)

> I do not know. AFAIK, Everaldo just started painting... No outline or
> whatsoever. No 2 pixels transparent border in the 48 icons...

IMHO it's the main problem. we cannot have everything (accessibility for
visually impaired people, optimization for monochrome/low color palette
displays, readability in all sizes on all backgrounds, outline,
recognizability, originality, ...) in one iconset and still keep it
eye-candy/attractive.
when would Everaldo followed the former guide we would never have get such
unique icons for KDE... (he would need to be a genius or it would take ages
to create such an iconset)
i know somebody doesn't like the crystal iconset at all for some reasons (i do
have some complains too) but anyway i think Everaldo did great work for KDE.
a pity he's, as it seems, nevermore subscribed to this list. it would be nice
to read some opinions of him or some suggestions for the icon guide.

however if you didn't noticed yet, there's a crystal outline preview at
linuxcult.com:

http://linuxcult.com/forum/crystal.php

luci
--

luci(ash [graun]d' being) :.:::.::. ::.:::  :: :: :  :.:.::