List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: I don't like this SVG idea...
From:       Casey Allen Shobe <cshobe () softhome ! net>
Date:       2004-01-22 16:31:43

This is an excellent, response, thank you...

Ante Wessels (Thursday 22 January 2004 06:10)
> It has always been known you can not scale down images to very small sizes,
> at a certain point every pixel counts, you can not leave that to an
> application. Why then svgs? At a certain moment kde had about 1700 icons,
> after that new sizes were added. It is impossible to maintain so many
> icons. With svgs you can render the bigger sizes with scripts, provided you
> have the sources. The smaller ones need to be optimized by hand. Every icon
> now has 3 incarnations, the 16, 22 and svg source. This should be
> maintainable.

OK, I can agree on that.  The problem I've seen is that 16x16 versions of
Everaldo's were committed to Kopete just before the freeze prevented us from
removing them, and they just look awful.  Now we've got to live with that for
the release, I guess.

And what I had heard on IRC was that PNGs would no longer be in KDE, but only
SVGs rendered on the fly.  I take it that was just an untrue rumour :).

> 1 You need the sources. KDE has accepted icons in png format, without
> source. The main problem in this respect is, unfortunately, Everaldo. He
> created/creates .ai files that can not be rendered to svg. He never
> distributed sources.

Why do we need SVG sources to clean up generated PNG images?

> I hope Lindows will have learned from this and will be strict with him about
> this.

That's not the responsibility of Lindows.  It's the responsibility of KDE, and
specifically KDE-Artists, IMHO.

> Since svg is an evolving standard, the original source is needed. Artists
> working with illustrator should also release the .ai source. At the moment
> these files can be rendered to correct svgs, they can be re-rendered, thus
> creating a correct svg base.

OK...but I still don't see why vector source is necessary unless a new icon
size comes along and we need to generate 500 icons of that size.

> KDE has been sloppy on the sources, many are missing. I hope kde will be
> more strict on this. It is the only way to keep the project maintainable.

Righto.

Vertu sæll,

--
Sigþór Björn Jarðarson (Casey Allen Shobe)
http://rivyn.livejournal.com