List:       kde-artists
Subject:    K-ARTIST: get more people into KDE by a movie
From:       Andreas Gungl <a.gungl () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-01-01 12:26:38

Hi,

I've been thinking about the idea for some weeks. New Year is IMO a good
time to make it public. Here it goes...

KDE has the nice Konqui, Linux has the nice Tux, BSD has ... etc. - OSS is
in front of Windows in this area. When my children come to my Linux box
running KDE, Konqui is the most interesting thing for them (they don't go
to school yet).

Why should we not use Konqui to bring more teenagers to KDE? I mean, there
are many projects around to bring Linux into the schools. KDE should become
the standard desktop there. How could it work? Make a nice little movie
(perhaps 25 min) with a little story where Konqui is the main actor. It
could be shown at schools in a lesson and be discussed afterwards.

I'm not good in constructing stories, but try to give a baseline here. A
small little boy and his girlfriend are sitting in front of her computer.
They do the homework. Afterwards they want to exchange or fix programs.
- From time to time the monitor opens like a window(s) and a bitch called
CeMeNT is looking out. She's dominating what the children are able to do
with the computer. Konqui is flying around and is seeing this. Together
with his friends (Tux and others) they throw the bitch out of the computer
and give new life to the machine with OSS. The children are happy and even
the PC cabinet in their school will get e.g. Debian with KDE.
You got it? I'm sure there will be people out there with much better ideas.

Basically it's to promote KDE to the youngest. They will get familiar with
KDE and will learn what power KDE has. And they will demand to work with it
later on. M$ tries to catch people with education licenses, but even here
we could beat them.
Once people can use OSS in the companies they will have the choice. And this
is also the moment to turn the management's favor for Gnome - when the
people demand KDE, then they will certainly change their mind.

Unfortunatly I'm no artist (and I've no talent nor skills in graphics and so
on). I'm helping to code and to hunt bugs, this is my contribution to KDE.
But I'm sure some of you will realize the chance and start a project to
make the dream come true.

Thank you for reading this. I wish you all a Happy New Year.

Regards,
Andreas Gungl
- --
    ~