List:       kde-artists
Subject:    K-ARTIST:Crystal KPilot theme
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2003-02-12 15:00:37

[I'm ticked off. There should be a slogan like "Don't Drink and Drive" for
email: "Don't be angry and hit send", but I'm gonna do it anyway.]

So. I was browsing kde-look, something I'm not wont to do, and lo! I spot
something called "Crystal Kpilot theme (Mandrake 9.0)". Since I'm the app
(KPilot) author, I figure that this might be interesting to me. And I'll
be damned, there's actual Crystal icons in there and an updated splash
screen.

C'mon guys, is it _so_ hard to tell an apps author that there's new icons
available? KDE 3.x has been looking like an inconsistent piece of crap
since the Crystal icons moved in -- especially _because_ not all the icons
got changed and some apps were left with the icons drawn by whatever
retarded monkey was around in the HiColor days. Or in KPilot's case, by
Mike, in LoColor. So _why_ can't you finish the job and put the rest of
the decent icons in the normal KDE tree so that selecting the "Crystal"
theme gives you a consistent look. I mean, to get a KDE desktop all
Crystal while running KPilot right now requires: installing the KDE
Crystal theme _and_ installing this kde-look thingy. Where's the
consistency?

Oh, and the little black area isn't large enough to handle all of the
version strings I'm likely to throw at it. Perhaps y'all can suggest some
better splash-screen modifying code, since I don't know how to do the
blurred edges on that black rounded rectangle in code.

Oh, and while you've replaced the image of the Pilot in the icons (that
image was by Kris Borrey, BTW, originally from the iKons theme) you've
kept the extremely ugly business-card thing I drew up for the address
icon. C'mon guys, _finish_ the job. Don't leave it half-assed like this.

Oh, and you've replaced the recognizable HotSync symbol, which is actually
present on the cradle of all Palm devices (not on Visors though, probably
due to trademark reasons) with two random green arrows.

Oh, and what _is_ the license of that Crystal KPilot theme? It's not like
the kde-look page actually states a license, it just mentions the Crystal
Artists Staff.

There, I'm done. You really _can_ get crystal out on KDE desktops without
much effort, but at the very least you should take the trouble to report
new artwork to the application authors. They're not nearly as cranky when
you inform them of things than when they accidentally stumble across it.

--
 Adriaan de Groot    adridg@cs.kun.nl     Kamer A6020     024-3652272
GPG Key Fingerprint 934E 31AA 80A7 723F 54F9  50ED 76AC EE01 FEA2 A3FE