List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:design of KDE artist web site v2
From:       Daniel Cassidy <mail () lezek ! freeserve ! co ! uk>(by way of Daniel Cassidy <mail () lezek
Date:       2002-08-15 20:34:07

On Thursday 15 Aug 2002 8:55 pm, you wrote:
> i don't understand why there was almost no response to the previous des=
igns
> (which this in fact is and it even works in almost all browsers well!)
> and it seems to me a bit funny that every time when i ask for critics f=
or
> the new artist.kde.org design (ok, it was just 2-3 times) the flame war
> about licensing begins instead :o)

odd... in my case i didn't see them, probably because at one point i miss=
ed a
lot of messages.

this one is way, way too dismal, the use of grey is overpowering. against=
 the
orange it looks very garish since they are of similar brightness.

the tiny bit of colour at the top looks quite silly with a big block of b=
lack
over it; it would be better if the whole top section was one colour

the whole orange, black and grey scheme doesn't work at all. the grey cla=
shes
with the orange and the black somehow doesn't fit.

i think the problem here is that you are trying to adapt a colour scheme
 which was originally designed for a splash page to an entire site. orang=
e is
 not a good colour to be using if you want good readability - it's no
 coincidence that the old artists site uses the orange scheme only for th=
 front page and the 'classic' kde scheme for the rest. even on the old si=
te,
 the news section at the bottom of the front page looked quite silly.

if you want to keep the eraser logo and the orange, i suggest that you
redesign the current artists front page as a splash page, with no links o=
n it
at all except an 'enter' link at the bottom. removing the black bar at th=
top and bottom and the news section would be a good idea. then, design th=
rest of the site in a much more toned down, bog standard way for the sake=
 of
simplicity and readability.