List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:(no subject)
From:       "Torsten Rahn" <tackat () suse ! de>
Date:       2002-08-14 10:55:35

> From: <alois@email.si>
> To: <icons@kde.org>; <suse@suse.de>; <wish@linux-mandrake.com>; -
> <sac@conectiva.com.br>
> Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 11:55 AM
> Subject: K-ARTIST:(no subject)

> http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=2805
> "i think the looks of KDE
> right after installation need
> to be impressive. first impression

It not only needs to be impressive but also usable. Your current proposal
looks indeed quite beautiful. Still there are some issues which I'd like to
see fixed.

The default wallpaper not only needs to look good - we usually want the user
to keep it as the wallpaper he uses all the time. The problem with your
wallpaper is that the contrast is to high.
You have some "black stripes" in it and some clean white parts. I would
suggest to choose dark blue for the border of the planes instead of black
and dimming down the white parts a bit.
The clouds in the background remind me of windows. You might want to fix
that if you want to avoid bitching.

Great work though. Did you do it completely yourself or did you use stuff
which was created by other people.

You might want to talk to ante about the license ... he's the kde-artwork
license man ;-)

> is what counts. it's time
> to choose some REALLY GOOD

Seems cour caps-lock is broken ;-)

> say this because these wallapers
> were love at first sight.

Well, default_blue was love at first sight, too (that's the default
wallpaper right now) ...

It doesn't show any reallife objects (which makes it a pretty usable
wallpaper, it's small in terms of memory and it's still decent beautiful.

> icon set is tougher decision because i still have not seen a truly
COMPLETE
> icon set apart from the default.

Well, you don't only need to have a complete set you also need to have
people who continously take care of the iconset (that's one of the tougher
points - most people loose interest after 3 months or so ...).

Everaldo and me have been paid by Conectiva and SuSE to work on a vectorized
corporate version of the crystal iconset in the past few weeks/months. It
will be shipped with KDE 3.1 as the new default.

> oh, and window deco/ theme? LIQUID.

The default for 3.1 will be keramik. It's fast and original.

> what do you guys think?
> i feel like KDE is now very beautiful, but it's time to make it look
> impressive right out of the RPM.

You are right. And we have been working on this all the time until now.
If you want to contribute  tell us what you want to take care of.

> Damian"

Weren't you the guy who created artwork for Mandrake? Do you like to work
with vector graphics and can you adapt other people's style?

Greetings,
Tackat