List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:konqueror icon
From:       Jos van den Oever <oever () fenk ! wau ! nl>
Date:       2002-06-16 11:17:24

> ...and please let's not forget that the magnetic poles shift position once
> in a while (ok, on a somewhat larger timescale) so by defining the axis in
> the icon as the axis of the magnetic field of our planet, this will make
> sense in a couple of (tenthousand) years.

Hmm. The magnetic poles do not define the axis of rotation. The axis of
rotation is much more constant: the earth's a gyroscope. Also the axis of
rotation is where you'd put an axis through when making a globe.

The magnetic poles are thought to depend on fluxes in the earth's core. There
is evidence that the poles flip ever so often (thousands of years). Not a
good basis for a icon indeed :-)

Jos