List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:konqueror icon
From:       Torsten Rahn <tackat () suse ! de>
Date:       2002-06-13 11:00:08

On Thursday 13 June 2002 12:32, luci wrote:
> hello jos,
> thanks for this icon/logo "bug" report ;)
> i didn't noticed it until your attention.
> so, who's the responsible one? :)
>
> Jos van den Oever wrote:
> > While gazing at my screen trying to find a bug in some science software,
> > I noticed a silly flaw in the konqueor icon.
> >
> > The icon represents a cogwheel which holds a globe. An axis runs through
> > the first and last tooth of the cogwheel and inside the cogwheel, the
> > earth is mounted. What the artist failed to realize is that the earth

Actually the artist didn't "fail" to realize this one (as the artist was
actually involved quite a lot in creating maps of the earth and the sky and
as the artist loves globes a lot).

There are several reasons why the artist kept the icon like this:

- The "true" tilt of the rotation axis against the ecliptical plane is about
23,5 °. It's not really possible to paint a good looking easy to recognize
KDE stylish gear with tooths tilted that way. Therefore we have to cheat
reality here anyways.

- Not only reduces the tilt of about 23,5° the recognizability of the
continents etc. a lot - with a tilt of 45° it becomes even worse: It's really
hard to recognize the continents at an unfamiliar angle of 45 degrees ...

If you play with the pictures a bit yourself you might come to the same
conclusion that cheating reality a bit like I did gives best results for
usability and looks. The "other" more realistic solution would of course be
100% scientifically correct - but keep in mind how long it took until people
realized this "problem" and put it up on this mailinglist ;-)

Tackat

PS: actually I dealt about 1-2 hours with this problem myself until I produced
the final version of this icon ....

--
Dipl.-Phys. Torsten Rahn
<tackat@suse.de>   <tackat@kde.org>   <tackat@tackat.org>