List:       kde-artists
Subject:    K-ARTIST:new artist.kde.org look & features
From:       "luciash d' being" <luci () sh ! ground ! cz>
Date:       2002-05-10 16:58:47

hello kde artists and kde look&feel fans,

i've been working these days on some new ideas and re-designing of
artist.kde.org site.
as i already mentioned my idea of new web design was about maintaining some
specific designing parts () of recent version homepage (erasers K logotype,
textual logotype, colors, whose identify and represent kde artists site few
years and look quite well in my opinion) and on other hand to add some new
features, up-to-date look&feel, better design consistency, separation of
layout from content, more usability and web standards compatibility.

first of all i want to mention we already received here "A little contribution
:)" from antialias <vukman@dbmail.dk> at Sun, 7 Apr 2002 14:22:58 +0200
(http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-artists&m=101818263503691&w=2) followed by "Re:
new artist.kde.org design (Was: K-ARTIST:A little contribution :))" at Sat,
13 Apr 2002 22:18:40 +0200
(http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-artists&m=101872950002076&w=2) which
unfortunatelly didn't fit my idea about how actually should look the new
artist.kde.org default design.

a week or two ago i've received a "First try" (see the "zwobits_firsttry.jpg"
attachment) by Matthias Grünler <mattsegruenler@web.de> (yes, he's that guy
who volunteered in helping me to maintain the site ;)) and he wrote to it:

----------------------------
"Okay here's my first try to make a navigation bar, for artist.kde.org. I'm
NOT
very happy about it, it did not come out as it should.. and i think there
should be much more details. I also had no idea for a logo of artist.kde.org,
since now.
What do you think, what should be made better?"
----------------------------

and i've replied:

----------------------------
"ok, as i already said it's all too gray and brings only cold technical
feeling
on me. my imagination was something more colorful in combination with gray,
black and white in the steps of the today's index page what we were talking
about already (i would like to maintain the erasers logotype and/or textual
logo too, because it's something significal already for artist.kde.org even
it was not so long updated)

> What do you think, what should be made better?

i think it grabs unnecessary too much space at the top (i know people which
really hate to scroll down because of too tall header) and these fonts in
menu are too big imho.

in fact i like the grey color but it has to be joined by some warm color too.
i was thinking if you could use something more detailed but still soft and
decent (maybe some motive from your cool industrial photos) for upper left
document corner background deco? at least i miss the bottom frame design
too...

wish you good luck looking for your muse :)
(i've made something simple; a little remix of today's artist.kde.org. if you
want some inspiration about what i mean i can send it to you)"
----------------------------

then i sended to him what i did (see the "homepage.png") and a little
variation of it.
since then zwobits (matthias) didn't replied yet so i don't know if he liked
it or not...

now back to my layout design ideas:
thanks to the possibility we can use php we have got a wide range of various
layout, feature and usability enhancements. we can have even different site
designs if anyone will be interested to contribute in future.
the default design should look almost the same in all browsers and still
taking care of w3c (http://www.w3.org) validity so i choosed this solution:

- an optional "splash screen" (or "enter page" if you like) containing a bit
modified "K erasers logotype" centered horizontally on orange (#ff8100)
background
- for better usability and compatibility with nn4.xx the whole site should be
done using frameset divided to simple main site navigation and logotype frame
on the top, main content frame in the middle part of page and an optional
(switchable) frame at the bottom containing some useful links or search field
or whatever else (meant as a useful "little workspace")
- content would be included by web engine (realized in php) into main content
template from separated plain text, html or xml files
- i decided the main content should be outputed as xhtml 1.0 transitional
valid document with alternative possibility (realized through css
visibility:hidden or keeping basic navigation on the bottom of each document)
to navigate through the site without frames (non-frames enabled browsers)

and new and planned features (as we were talking with matthias about what
would be cool):
- featured artwork on the main page and archive
- interviews with various kde artists and artwork contributors
- more news and ability to submit news for registered users
- simple chat box
- fulltext search

please, look at the attachments, preview screenshots of template test page
i've made and opened in different browsers which will follow this mail, and
then tell me what do you think about it, send your suggestions, tips,
comments, etc...

thanks and greetings,
luci
--
luciash [graun]d' being :.:::.::. ::.:::  :: ::    :  :.:.::

["zwobits_firsttry.jpg" (image/jpeg)]
["homepage.png" (image/png)]