List:       kde-artists
Subject:    K-ARTIST:Torsten's license
From:       ante <vitanova () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-04-27 12:12:02

On Friday 26 April 2002 06:58, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> On Friday 26 April 2002 04:37, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > Well right now we would change from "free for commercial/noncommercial
> > distribution/modification/usage" to Artistic. hm. I guess I will stay
> > with that
>
> oops, forgot to add the phrase "free for commercial/noncommercial
>  distribution/modification/usage"

Does not make the license any better. You also forgot the names of the
copyright holders, the years the works were finished, the copyright notice, a
condition the work stays under the license, and a disclaimer.

You do not belief me, it seems. How about Andreas Pour? From his first
e-mail:

"Art needs a special license, I spoke to torsten about this before, but I
did not know about his solution, which i agree is not a good one."

Why settle for something that is "not an improvement" ? When a lawyer says "I
did not know that" he does not want to be involved. A very good advice, stay
away from this one.

imho, your license does not qualify as a license. It is more like
you leave the door open, put a sign outside "Steal everything" and go on
holiday.

You compared your license with the BSD license a few weeks ago. The BSD
license has everything your license does not have, fi, it has a condition.
It is a brilliant simple license that won a historical legal battle, which
was a turning point in the history of a free UNIX.

Feel free to use the license for your own work. Do add a disclaimer. There
are freaks out there that love to sue someone. You will win in the end, but
go broke over paying your lawyer. I was in many legal battles, and saw nasty
things happen. Better, use a solid license. Never advice others to use your
license or take them on an adventure with it. What if one of us gets sued by
an idiot? No disclaimer...

> Greetings,
> Tackat

Cordialemente,