List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Where to go?    (Re: K-ARTIST:Mime icons)
From:       ante <vitanova () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-04-17 20:25:13

On Tuesday 16 April 2002 14:02, luciash d' being wrote:
> - we could save some MB by using these background (or foreground) icons
> - we can get more creativity possibilities for artists

I'm not sure about that. An application icon can now be designed to be a good
stand alone icon. It can attract more attention than a mimetype icon, the
mimes come in bundles, need to be less catchy. So, if you paint an app icon
over a mime background, the result is strange.
   Also, positioning of elements (the composition) is very important. If the
app icon has 2 functions (stand alone and element), the result is a
compromise, will not be as good as an one function icon.
   Better, make good icons one by one. Not a problem since the set is (about)
complete and has good quality.
   There is one real problem coming up, the need for more sizes, resolutions
go up, icons become bigger, every release needs a new size, it seems. May be,
it is good to make 256 x 256 SVG icons that can be scaled down (to begin
with) for the bigger sizes (96, 128). The 256 x 256 SVGs will have a long
lifetime, there is time to reach good quality, while the monitors get bigger,
and more people will start to use them.
   Allready, the SVGs seem to be a new, unstopable development. (It feels
right to do, there is demand / discussion about it for years now on this
list, there is an artist around sending them in allready :-) There will be 2
icon technics (pixel and vector). The separation into foreground / background
will make a third technic to adress. Too much... There is a real need for
vectors, I think. If that is so, that is the way to go.

How about it, is there a real need for vectors?

Cordialemente,

Ante

--

******