List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: Re: K-ARTIST:Mime icons usability & visibility ;-)
From:       Guenter Milde <G.Milde () physik ! tu-dresden ! de>
Date:       2002-04-17 11:02:50

On 16 Apr 2002 12:08:51 +0200 wrote antialias <vukman@dbmail.dk>:

> >Also, all the icons use the same "window" over the paper.
>
> Maybe yes, maybe not. I haven't decided yet whether all of mimetype
> icons will use the same 'window' over the paper. I would like to avoid
> paper for rpm, tar, tar.gz og deb (or maybe some more), but using paper
> is good because it distintcs them from application icons.

Pro "paper":

1. it is an established metaphor for mimetype.

2. For me, the "paper" metaphor is linked to "file" and/or "data". This is why I would
expect also data that is not easily printed on a paper (as tar.gz, say) to
have the "paper" background.

3. In terms of usability, it is IMHO best to have a common "key signal" for all files
"you can throw at an application" ( i.e. for  mimetypes).

> And the main
> idea is to have more space for elements, not for paper, because elements
> get smaller and smaller in 32x32, 22x22 & 16x16 pixels icons.

Support for this (but no need for the window) ....

Guenter

--
G.Milde@physik.tu-dresden.de