List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: Re: Re: K-ARTIST:Icon for KMagnifier
From:       Guenter Milde <G.Milde () physik ! tu-dresden ! de>
Date:       2002-01-30 15:27:00

On 30 Jan 2002 15:16:06 +0100 wrote antialias <vukman@b2mail.dk>:

> On Wed, 2002-01-30 at 12:40, Guenter Milde wrote:
> >
> > I just looked at the icons (and once again at kmag) and I have to admit,
> > that for me, the icon (as nice as it is in itself) does not point at a
> > magnification tool :-(
>
> You're right :), maybe I have abstract-enabled mind, and people just
> need plain symbols.

> I'm wondering why we have Wilber for Gimp icon, black sun for Kvirc
> icon, bull for Emacs icon,a fish for Kbabel, green ball with grey
> triangle for Kdevelop, flower for Licq, etc.

I suppose, it is a gnu for gnu-emacs (and emacs is not just one app) and a
babelfish for babel. The other ones are as unfriendly (for me) I'd rather
replace them with something else.

> Forget my icon, but I really think that people who use an application
> will easily learn to associate its icon with application (and doesn't
> matter how abstract the icon is). You need it - you'll learn it.

Of course, but what is then the sense of an icon? -- I mean regarding
usability. If I have to _learn_ the icons I need, I'd rather use a command
line app.

> > Wouldn't it be clearer if there where something really magnified? We don't
> > need a standard magnifying glass then. I know, my attached example if far
> > from ideal, it's only there to show my concept. (Anyone feel free to use it
> > and make it a "real icon".)
>
> I see your point, and I like design but the only thing is that your icon
> has to be also in 16x16 & 22x22 sizes. I'm afraid you wont be able to
> see tiny stipes which gives magnification effect on your icon. You'll be
> only able to see letter E, and then it is bad, because some could
> misinterperet it as icon for Microsoft Excell, or E-mail etc.

Of course you are rigth, it was only the first draft of the idea -- have a
magnifying window instead of a glass.

How about a magnified K? This way it would also be recognizable as KDE app:
Also, the effect of pixel-blocks is IMHO typical for kmag.

["kmag2.xpm" (IMAGE/X-XPIXMAP)]

--
G.Milde@physik.tu-dresden.de