List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: Re: K-ARTIST:Icon for KMagnifier
From:       Guenter Milde <G.Milde () physik ! tu-dresden ! de>
Date:       2002-01-30 11:40:35

On 29 Jan 2002 23:19:03 +0100 wrote antialias <vukman@b2mail.dk>:

> I know what you mean but that was not my intention:
>
> 1. It is very easy to draw a lens, but you have lenses everywhere (for
> example, Xmag, KDE toolbar icons for viewmag+  & viewmag-, findfile,
> findapplication etc. etc. So, lens is not so original. Your Kmag
> application icon has to be original (not just better painted lens), so
> people can recognize it.

I just looked at the icons (and once again at kmag) and I have to admit,
that for me, the icon (as nice as it is in itself) does not point at a
magnification tool :-(

  You are right, a lens is not very original/specific. (Still it might be
  the best thing around)

  As opposed to KDE itself or Konqueror, kmag is a little helper app, so I
  don't expect that people will learn to combine the original symbol with
  the actual program (like the gear or Konqui).

> 2. I installed Kmag today to see what it does. First I couldn't figure
> out how to use it. Then, accidentally, I clicked inside the kmag window
> and, again accidentally, moved mouse cursor outside the Kmag window and
> then I saw what you can see in icon I created. An insteresting pointer
> which is used by F16 pilots ;-), and then I got idea to use it as basic
> design for your icon.
>
> 3. The icon I created has center with pointer which simbolize presizion
> and, at the same time arrows in all corners which simbolize
> magnification. Of course, that is not enough for a decent application
> icon, so I added some color etc. etc.

Acutally, I did not catch that these were intended to be arrows. Also,
arrows for me mean magnification of a window frame, not content
(arrow = move, 4 arrows in four directions = move borders)

Wouldn't it be clearer if there where something really magnified? We don't
need a standard magnifying glass then. I know, my attached example if far
from ideal, it's only there to show my concept. (Anyone feel free to use it
and make it a "real icon".)

["kmag.xpm" (IMAGE/X-XPIXMAP)]

Guenter

--