List:       kde-artists
Subject:    K-ARTIST:black and white theme
From:       ante <vitanova () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-01-29 12:49:20

Hello everybody!

I uploaded a black and white theme to kde-look.org. The icons can be used \
by LCD/Monochrome-displays and by visually impaired people.

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=777

I made the icons quite some time ago, as a first sketch of an official \
black  and white icon theme for KDE. As I was the only one working on it, \
and was  drawn to other things, presently the set is unmaintained :-(

With the possibility to choose icon themes now in KDE, I made a theme out \
of  the icons, so they can easily be used. Take a look!

The set is unmaintained: you may rise to the occassion! Actually, making bw \
icons is interesting. You only have 2 colors, so you have to  make VERY \
simple designs...

The read-me has info on the design principles.

Cordialemente,

Ante

["snap-small-bw.png" (image/png)]
["AAA-readme-bw" (text/plain)]

Welcome to the KDE Black & White icons. These icons can be used by
LCD/Monochrome-displays and by visually impaired people.

This set is far from complete, the 32 x 32 are useable, they replace the \
most used icons.

see: http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita/linux

How to install an Icon Theme?
Open the KDE-Menu an start the Control Center
Click on "Look and Feel" and "Icons"
Browse to the location of the new icon theme by clicking the small folder \
button Click on "Install New Theme" to add the new icons
Click "Apply"
Have fun! :-)

Manually:
Copy the tgz to ./kde/share/icons
open it with:
tar -xvzf bw-icons2002.tgz
Now the icon theme will show up in the control center.

This icon theme can also be downloaded via
http://www.kde-look.org

The icons are mostly 2D. They are designed for use on a white background. \
The black outline uses most space. After that I added some white to set \
them apart on a black background as well, and/or to make the hit area \
bigger. I did not use grey areas, a color swap will not be visible then. I \
kept them mostly white. This leaves the possibility to indicate the active \
state with a color swap.

The unknown, txt and folder icons are templates which are used for many \
more icons, there were kept as simple as possible. The
simplicity of the unknown and txt icons leaves much space, needed in B & W
design.

In the KDE color icons set the tar and tgz files have two triangles to \
indicate the balled together/compressed state. In this line I gave the \
compressed files two triangles, the packages four triangles. I kept in line \
with giving the Deb and RPM compressed file icons a character.

The source icons, like in the color version, all have a character. I used a \
28 size Clean font.
Large: size 34

In some other cases I used the Clean font as well, size 16, which gives a
better result than size 18.

Scaling goes very well after indexing.
(Gimp: image - indexed - black/white palette)

If possible I took 2D elements from the KDE color set, like the monitors. \
Some of the icons were ported from the Kiddo icon set to black & white.

The tarball includes helpfiles. These files contain
re-useable elements from the icons, handy for designers.

Ante Wessels
vitanova@softhome.net