List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: Re: K-ARTIST:icons - project - crystal]
From:       antialias <vukman () b2mail ! dk>
Date:       2002-01-19 13:00:15

Kristof Borrey wrote:

>Hi,
>
>It seems Everaldo made the same mistake as I did when I started with
>Kicons/iKons. Everaldo is free to use my folder icon, but I don't think his
>other icons are gpl'ed. E.g. you can find the Konqueror, cdrom icon at
>http://mac.axonz.com/index2.html, the bomb icon is available at
>http://xicons.macnn.com/previews/0285bombs.jpg. More icons ar available at
>www.xicons.com .

Huh, thanks for the link, you're right, crystal style is not original :(

>I have to admit that Mac OS X has a very nice icon style, and I think a lot
>of people would like to have a Mac OS X icon style on their KDE systems ...
>but you have to take copyright issues into account.

Yes, otherwise KDE could end in trouble.

> It's hard to come up
>with an original idea for every icon, but when you make your own icons and
>people like you style ... it feels much better.

You don't need to have original idea for every icon. We have a lot of
excellent icons in default KDE set, and we don't need to reinvent the
wheel. So, when you want to create a new mimetype set of icons first
decide design for mimetype-empty icon and then add elements Tackat
already created. In that way you get original icon set which is
consistent and matches default KDE mimetypes icons, so people don't get
confused.

I've attached a little example which shows one idea for a new mimetype
set of icons.

regards,

antialias

["mime-example.png" (image/png)]