List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:Could someone help me creating an icon for the sidebar ?
From:       Torsten Rahn <tackat () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-21 21:02:37

On Wednesday 21 November 2001 19:21, Joseph Wenninger wrote:
> Hi
>
> I had a long email discussion with someone, who was confused of the home
> icon in the sidebar. He had problems realising the difference between the
> action in the toolbar and the one in the sidebar. Does someone have an idea
> for a replacement ?

I think this is rather a conceptual problem.
All the icons refer to the information (i.e. the filesystem) to be displayed
in the sidebar. If one would want to indicate that withinin one icon, one
would have to indicate that for _all_ of these icons as well (i.e. bookmark,
network etc.). Having  a special "indicator symbol" for each of these icons
doesn't really make sense to me as this should really be clear once you
understand the concept behind the sidebar. If we would create extra icons for
this purpose with some graphical indicators we would also have to create
special icons for the same reason for the filedialog.

IIRC microsoft offers a much better solution to this problem by using vertical
tabs which open to the left side to make it obvious that e.g. the home-icon
doesn't refer to the main-view but to the sidebar instead (See qwertz's
illustration).
Would it be possible to make the sidebar using vertical tabs instead of the
buttons being used right now? Of course this solution might infer with the
multiple-view mode somehow as tabs usually have only one 'active' tab.

Greetings,
Tackat