List:       kde-announce
Subject:    Announce: PerlKDE-0.001
From:       Ashley Winters <jql () accessone ! com>
Date:       2000-01-19 15:17:20

I'm pleased to announce the debut of my Perl interface to KDE, PerlKDE.
It's built on top of my Perl interface to Qt, PerlQt.

PerlQt is meant to be a complete, cross-platform development environment
for Qt applications. PerlKDE is merely intended to be a scripting
interface to the KDE libraries, and the base for Perl modules linking to
other supplementary KDE libraries.

PerlKDE is currently based on KDE-1.1.1 + Qt-1.44, because that's what I
use. PerlQt supports Qt-1.4x and Qt-2.0.x. You will need perl5.004 or
above. (5.003 might work)

PerlKDE is untested, and only has about 40 widgets and support classes
interfaced so far. It can throw up windows and display KDE widgets,
which is enough for version 0.001. It's also undocumented, but oh well!
Half the fun is being surprised when something unexpectedly works.

If you wanna start hacking away, I included app.pl with PerlKDE as a
minimal KDE application. Beyond that, look at the programs included with
PerlQt for guidance.

You will need to download and install PerlQt-2.101 and PerlKDE-0.001.
If you have perl5.004 or above, you should be fine. I use perl5.005 on
Linux.

Download URLs:
ftp://cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/AWIN/PerlQt-2.101.tar.gz
ftp://cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/AWIN/PerlKDE-0.001.tar.gz

If they're not there when you read this, try again in a few hours.

Optimal order of installation (skip what you already have, of course):
perl5.004 or above
qt-1.44
kde-1.1.1
PerlQt-2.101
PerlKDE-0.001

If you have problems, questions, suggestions, or offers of assistance,
my email-box is always open.

More to come,
Ashley Winters