List:       kde-announce
Subject:    NewKrn 0.1.0
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-08-26 15:35:48

Hello,

First of all: this release is not meant for public use. If you need a
newsreader, this is probably not for you! (yet)

After a long hiatus (and 3 aborted rewrites anyway) development of KRN is
gaining strength again, with this, the initial release of NewKrn (I know,
awful name).

The original KRN had a few good concepts ruined by convoluted
implementation. I am now taking those concepts, adding some things I
figured out in the meantime and rewriting it (it does help that I am a
rather better C++ programmer these days than in 1997 ;-)

What's the new in NewKrn?

* It adopts a radical concept on news storage, which was started but never
fully realized in old KRN, by storing messages in an object oriented
relational database (really ;-). This was made possible by the cool work
of Konstantin Knizhnik, the author of the FastDB library (included in this
release).

This will eventually allow the user to forget the traditional concepts of
newsgroups and servers, pooling all data sources into a big data storage
and enabling focused reading ("all things about PPP on unix-like systems",
for example).

* It is very multithreaded, so nonblocking, yet portable. This is also
possible thanks to cool code I didn't write, of course. In this case, the
GNU portable threads library, by Ralf Engelschall. You need to get this
library from http://www.gnu.org/software/pth/ if you want to build NewKrn.

* It supports multiple simultaneous connections to multiple servers.

* It is very stable here. It lacks almost every feature, but what's there
seems to work ok ;-)

* Dynamically loaded dialogs, thanks to cute code found in kdevelop :-)

This is intended for use with KDE 1.x and Qt 1.4x, and I'm releasing it in
hopes of people trying to run it under a debugger and giving me backtraces
if it crashes, not much more than that.

I am currently uploading it to ftp.kde.org, but my connection is a mess,
so you may want to *try* getting it from
http://ultra208.unl.edu.ar/newkrn. It will eventually appear in
ftp://ftp.kde.org/Incoming of course, and move to some final place in the
server.

Best regards,

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Not mad, but bound more than a madman is (Romeo and Juliet, Act I Scene II)