List:       kde-announce
Subject:    Kmonop project founded
From:       Martin Konold <konold () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1998-07-01 22:27:59

>From rjkap@capsi.demon.nl Thu Jul  2 00:27:12 1998

Hi. Quit your summer jobs and cancel those holiday plans. This is a project
you might want to be involved with!

I got bored tonight and browsed some manual pages, when I noticed the
program ``monop'', which you too might have installed in /usr/games/.
Memories of a Monopoly CD-rom from Hasbro/Westwood dawned upon me. They
released a Star Wars edition too, but I don't own that one.

Anyway, I am now quite determined to make sure yet another nifty KDE
application gets developed: Kmonop.

Features I one day hope to see in this game:

o Multi-player (both console and network)
o AI (computer players)
o Local versions (however not linked to the locales, I might want to play
  the French edition in the english language).
o Themes (either hardcoded or perhaps even in a X11Amp/WinAmp skin way). A
  Star Trek theme is a must.. Deep Space 9 is cooler than Boardwalk. ;)
o All sorts of settings (free parking collects fines, double income when you
  land on Start, etc etc).

However, there is one slight problem. My programming qualities are okay, but
I have too little experience with C++ and none at all with the KDE/Qt
functions and widgets.

Therefore, I am hoping on getting at least a few of you enthusiastic to
create a darn great game with me. A project such as Kmonop can and will not
be created by a sole person, it is too big and complex for that. So, I will
definitely need a lot of help.

If you think you can contribute, in any way, mail me: cap@capsi.com.
I am in the progress of setting up a website for Kmonop. I trust I will get
enough usefull responses to start this project soon.

You don't like Monopoly? KDE (or UNIX/Linux for that matter) can use some
games that are more complex than Tetris - so someone of you should really
make a Red Alert clone (Kalert??). With penguins and snowballs and artic
stuff of course.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper | mail: cap@capsi.com cap@capsi.net - icq: 707085