List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KIconLoader
From:       Christoph Neerfeld <Christoph.Neerfeld () bonn ! netsurf ! de>
Date:       1997-09-30 22:49:55

On 28-Sep-97 Stephan Kulow wrote:

>> On 27-Sep-97 ettrich@peanuts.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de wrote:
>> >Anyway the stuff is a bit more complicate:
>> >
>> > Yet we allow users to modify there kdelnk files which contain
>> > the entries
>> >   icon=
>> >   miniicon=
>> >

>> > imagine the application kvt. if icon and miniicon is not defined
>> > in kvt.kdelnk, it will simply use (Kiconloader will do that)
>> > kvt.xpm and mini/kvt.xpm. So far no problem. The kdelnk file
>>
>> There is a problem. How should KIconLoader distinguish between the two
>> icon-files kvt.xpm and mini/kvt.xpm. Currently it will return the Pixmap
>> it finds first. IMHO it is better to use a naming convention:
>> kvt.xpm and mini-kvt.xpm
>>
>I think, we agreed, that KIconLoader shouldn't look in /share/icons, but
>there is a new function getAppIcon and getAppMiniIcon. I don't like this
>mini- very much.

Where do you want to put the icons for kdelnk-files that are made by users ?

Please don't forget that there are lots of kdelnk-files that are not part
of the distribution but can be created by every user.

So we need a user accessible directory for icons. That's why this
[KDE Setup]:IconPath=... still exits.

And I don't think it is possible to make a distinction between a normal icon
and an application icon.

If you don't want to name the icons mini-... we need two different functions:
 - loadIcon()
 - loadMiniIcon()

and different config entries:
 - [KDE Setup]:IconPath=...
 - [KDE Setup]:MiniIconPath=...

otherwise KIconLoader is quite useless if you ask me.

Regards,

Chris.