List:       kde-announce
Subject:    ANNOUNCE: KProcess 0.1
From:       Christian Czezatke <e9025461 () student ! tuwien ! ac ! at>
Date:       1997-07-27 17:51:50

Hi!

I'm just uploading an update of "KProcess" to fiwi.

KProcess is a class that facilitates the handling of child processes for
KDE application programmers. It hides the usual fork/exec/signal stuff
involved with child process monitoring from the application developer and
neatly integrates the necessary mechanisms in the usual "Qt signal/slot
environment".

Added features:

+) No more timer needed to watch out for child processes that have exited!
   (So it would be nice to integrate KProcess into kdisplay and
   kdehelp now... ;-) )

+) Support for communication with the child process through
   stdout/stderr/stdin is now provided! (Thanks to Bertrand Leconte
   for the initial patches!)

   -- Beware, this feature is still a little buggy (especially
      child processes that run only a _very_ short time
      are currently causing headaches. -- Segfaults in a
      "QGDict" member function are possible. ????)

Asynchronous communication with the child process is now supported.

It basically works the following way:

+) Receiving data:
When data arrives from the child, a Qt signal will notify you of that
event.

+) Sending data to the child process:
You hand over the data you want to pass to the client. When all the data
has been sent to the client, you will be notified by a Qt signal.

Suggested placement:

  ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/devel/libs

Here is the LSM:
--------------------------------
Begin
Title:          kprocess-0.1.tgz
Version:        0.1
Entered-date:   27 Jul 1997
Maintained-by:  Christian Czezatke
Primary-site:
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/devel/libs
Platforms:      Should compile and work on all Plattforms running Qt/KDE
End

Once more, feedback is higly appreciated!

     Hope you will find KProcess useful... ;-)

     Christian

| Christian Czezatke, Student of Computer Science at the Vienna    |
| University Of Technology.                                        |
| email: e9025461@student.tuwien.ac.at                             |