List:       kde-announce
Subject:    [kde-announce] KDE Frameworks 5 Makes KDE Software More Accessible for all Qt Developers
From:       Mario Fux <fux () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-07-07 20:22:11

Today, the KDE community has made available the first first stable release of
Frameworks 5. At the Randa Meetings back in 2011, we started work on porting
KDE Platform 4 to Qt 5. But as part of this effort, we also began modularizing
our libraries, integrating portions into Qt 5 proper and modularizing the rest
so applications can just use the functionality they need. Today you can save
yourself the time and effort of repeating work that others have done, relying
on over 50 Frameworks [1] with mature, well tested code. For a full list and
technical details coders can read the API documentation.

On Linux, using packages [2] for your favorite distribution is the recommended
way to get access to KDE Frameworks.

Frameworks 5.0 requires Qt 5.2. It represents the first in a series of planned
monthly releases making improvements available to developers in a quick and
predictable manner.

Those interested in following and contributing to the development of
Frameworks can check out the git repositories, follow the discussions on the
KDE Frameworks development mailing list [3] and send in patches through review
board.

KDE is always looking for new volunteers and contributions, whether it is help
with coding, bug fixing or reporting, writing documentation, translations,
promotion, money, etc. All contributions are gratefully appreciated and
eagerly accepted. KDE is currently running a fundraiser [4] to make the Randa
Meetings 2014 possible. Your contribution is crucial to make an event like
this possible - and with that, projects like KDE Frameworks!

[1] http://kde.org/announcements/kde-frameworks-5.0.php
[2] http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Binary_Packages
[4] http://www.kde.org/fundraisers/randameetings2014/index.php