List:       kde-announce
Subject:    [kde-announce] amaroK 0.9-beta1 Released!
From:       Max Howell <mail.kde.org () methylblue ! com>
Date:       2004-02-15 17:32:20

The amaroK team are proud to announce the release of amaroK 0.9-beta1!

Having experienced many badly designed audio players where glamour and
gimmickry seem to have been the development priorities, the amaroK team set
out to develop a player that was focused on usability (but still looked
cool!). Centred around a large, well-constructed playlist, amaroK is designed
to make assembling and enjoying your music hassle-free. Constructing
playlists is as simple as dragging and dropping media or streams from the
multitude of conveniently placed "browsers".

amaroK 0.9-beta1 is a vast improvement over the 0.8 series, being more refined
and packed full of new features. If there ever was a reason to upgrade to KDE
3.2 this is it! amaroK 0.9 takes advantage of the spanking new KDE feature
set, including KConfig XT and the new KMultiTabBar widget as featured in
KDevelop, Kate and Konqi. Unfortunately this does mean we have not been able
to maintain backwards compatability with KDE 3.1.x, you will need KDE 3.2 to
join the party..

New features include:

* Two new analyzers, and improvements to the stock set, all powered by a new,
  more flexible FFT routine
* On-screen-display information announcing new tracks
* Brand new audio system that can support any backend; currently supporting
  aRts and GStreamer
* Threaded, inline tag-editing with novel features like "Fill-down"
* A revamped FileBrowser, based on the excellent Fileselector widget from Kate

Other notable improvements include the ability to share streams with other
amaroK users (thanks to KDERadioStation tech.), dynamic audioproperty
as numerous bug fixes and tweaks.

We are hoping the beta series will attract new users and keep our loyal
fan-base happy. Please report bugs to the KDE bugzilla (bugs.kde.org), and
we'd be very happy to hear your wishes there too! Many thanks,

The amaroK team