List:       kde-active
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Kontact Touch GSOC Project - mentor needed
From:       Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar () autistici ! org>
Date:       2013-04-18 14:28:45

On 12.04.2013 18:01, Volker Krause wrote:
>>> I did some minor things for PA with PlasmaComponets already and feel
>>> relatively comfortable using it.
>>> The reason I suggested this approach is, that it allows me to got throu=
gh
>>> lot of design ideas with my Co Mentor.
>>
>> Right, I agree with that.

I (now being the main mentor) agree with this approach as well. To me, =

finding good - as in usable and technically feasible - UI concepts is =

the most important goal of this project. Of course since GSoC is mainly =

about programming, not interaction design we also want to have working =

code in the end, but the initial design phase should be very prominent.

>> I am just worried that we will end up with lots of QML files that work
>> really well on demo data but do not fit onto the actual data objects, et=
c.

> Indeed a risk, but OTOH asking for a full rewrite of a mail application UI
> within a single GSOC is asking for a bit much as well ;)
>
> Kontact Touch was started when QML was still in its beginnings (Qt 4.6), =
and
> with the objective to be feature equivalent to the real Kontact (on an N9=
00-
> like phone), which explains some of the "interesting" solutions you find =
in
> there, especially all the embedded widgets.
>
> Redoing the UI entirely in QML would mean:
> - heavily compromise on features, at least for the first iteration during=
 GSoC
> - reuse the existing models from Kontact Touch for the message and folder
> lists
> - refactor the remaining required bits of widget based code for model/view
> separation. IIRC this will mainly affect the composer, which is still an
> embedded widget.
>
> The first two seem implicitly already present in the proposal, the last o=
ne
> might be a bit underestimated.

Redoing the entire Kmail Touch UI in QML would definitely be too big a =

scope for a GSoC project. What I want to have in the end is something =

which shows the path ahead and can be built upon.

> Also adding Bj=F6rn Balazs to Cc, he did the original UX design of Kontact
> Touch.

Bj=F6rn is already on board :)