On Wednesday 26 December 2012, Mathieu Calvo wrote: > Dear Sir/Madam, > > > > Padways is a french company that develops ambient intelligence systems for > house livings and industry. These systems uses technologies as touchscreen, > nfc, sensors, actuators,... > > > > We have designed our own hardware based on ARM core, we use Android OS most > of the time and also work on our own embedded linux kernel, from an > Angstrom one. > > > > But we just took knowledge of the Plasma Active project, we find that it > looks very fine and would like to know more about it, in order to use it as > an alternative of Android for our new customers. That sounds interesting, and yes, I think Active may be adapt at least for projects that require a full linux stack, or a completely customized vertical > > Could you tell me if the kernel is an open source one so that we could > customize it for our hardware ? If yes do you provide the source for ARM > based devices, as BeagleBone for example ? Plasma Active is based on Mer, that is a distribution of all the user space for ARM, kernel not included since it needs to be deployed/built in a quite different way for each different ARM platform. then there are "hardware adaptions" projects focused on a particular platform that provide the kernel/boot loader and anything else that is necessary to boot and run correctly a mer installation on that particular hardware. I can't answer at the moment about the support of a particular board, but in any case if is something not supported at the moment, is usually feasible to get it working in a reasonable amount of time, provided the availability of drivers. Unlike Android, Plasma active is based on top of a "normal linux" stack, so if the board currently works with other distributions (as i seen in the beaglebone example, seems to be present a debian distribution for it) yes, it can work with Mer/Plasma Active. > > For Linux HMI programs we use Qt/C++ to develop them, I guess that this > would also be possible for applications of Plasma Active interfaces ? yes, Qt/C++ (on top of X11) is the main development platform for Active. -- Marco Martin _______________________________________________ Active mailing list Active@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/active