List:       kde-active
Subject:    Re: akademy talk?
From:       Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar () autistici ! org>
Date:       2012-03-14 13:09:35

On 26.02.2012 18:25, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 16 February 2012, you wrote:
>>> Plasma Active will be a hot topic at Akademy. Having several
>>> presentations and presenters would be nice. Desktop Summit was
>>> speculative...a series of presentations showing "what if". These
>>
>> i would love more than one presentation as well.
>> for that however people need to step up ;)
>>

> sooo, any takers? ;)
> (deadlines looming)

I've just submitted a proposal for a talk by me about Plasma Active HIGs to=
 the =

program committee:

Title of the talk:
How the Plasma Active Human Interface Guidelines Can Make the Life of Devel=
opers =

and Users Easier

One-paragraph description:
This talk presents the Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) for Plasma Active, =
the =

user experience for (mostly) touch-based devices. These guidelines help =

developers to create consistent user interfaces for Plasma active applicati=
ons =

while reducing the need for direct involvement of interaction designers int=
o the =

creation of every UI. Hereby they reduce the effort to create new UIs and a=
llow =

users to transfer knowledge to new applications more easily.

Abstract:
One of the efforts of the interaction design team of Plasma Active is the =

development of Human Interface Guidelines for Active Apps. Human Interface =

Guidelines serve mainly two important purposes: First, they support the cre=
ation =

of consistent applications on a platform, thereby allowing users to easily =

transfer knowledge gained about the interaction with one application to oth=
er =

applications on the same platform and ensuring a harmonious look & feel acr=
oss =

applications. Second, they allow application developers to apply proven =

interaction design principles without the need to ask an interaction design=
er =

about every common aspect of their UI. Thus, interaction designers and usab=
ility =

experts can focus on the uncommon, tricky parts of a specific application=
=92s UI, =

and some particularly standardized and straightforward applications may eve=
n be =

created without the need to involve interaction designers.
The talk will give an introduction to the usage of the Plasma Active HIGs, =
give =

an overview of the existing HIGs and an outlook on those HIGs that are plan=
ned. =

After the presentation, developers have the chance to comment on existing H=
IGs =

and suggest which additional HIGs they need the most.

Cheers,
Thomas