List:       kde-active
Subject:    Re: student tablet
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-02-07 17:06:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello,

> How are you?

We are doing very well as things are moving forward quickly. I hope you are also \
similarly well...

> I have been following the accomplishments of Plasma Active

Thank you for your interest and attention.

> The reason for this is that we like to develop a student tablet with
> some special functions. To be honest we were more focusing on the
> Android platform, but as you know that the Android isn't quite open
> source as they say they are.

Yes, this has been one major eason we started Plasma Active: we saw the need for a \
truly open mobile OS.

> Is there a possibility for us to have the plasma active on our student
> tablet?

Absolutely. The first thing to make sure of is that the hardware you are using is or \
can be easily supported. If you already have an Android kernel with sources, then it \
should be fairly quick. Otherwise, it will depend on the harware details. We have \
been growing our harware support at a very good pace, but we do not cover every \
device on the market yet.

If you can share some information on the hardware (off-list by private email is fine \
if privacy is required, e.g. the hardware configuration is not public yet.).

We have a good community of knowledgable people as well as companies that can provide \
assistance and input as needed. We have an open policy for questions: all questions \
are good questions and we do our best to answer promptly.

> And what do we need to do to get some support from your
> community?

You have already started that process with this email! :)

You are also welcome to work with our git repositories, either in branches or private \
clones (again, depending on prviacy requirements).

If you van share some of what you want to achieve, then we can help by offering \
suggestions for integration points and support your efforts in doing so.

I also go occasionally to China and Taiwan to meet with people. My next scheduled \
trip is only in August, where I will be attending and speaking at the COSCUP \
conference. If we can move forward with your tablet project and Plasma Active, and it \
would be worthwhile, we could perhaps even rrange a meeting when I am in the region \
sometime.

> We really hope we can start a project together and give our
> student a safe platform to work on.

Likewise! Your project sojunds very interesting, especially since several school \
systems have recwently approached us about Plasma Active tablets.

Note that there is work on an open content store (release will be in the next 8 weeks \
or so) which could provide a nice platform for indiciual schools privisioning content \
that may not be easily done via Moodle etc. also, Activities in Plasma Active are \
just perfect for student class plans (e.g. one activity per subject / class).

> Hope to hear more from you, thank you very much.

Likewise, and thanks again for your interest.

--
Aaron J. Seigo