List:       kde-active
Subject:    Re: Plasma Active on Kubuntu
From:       JD Zheng <entropy.zjd () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-02-01 16:40:52

> is there a way to install Plasma Active as an alternative desktop
> environment that can be selected from KDM?
>
> I really would like to test Plasma Active and maybe even use it as the
> main environment on my netbook - I don't like Plasma Netbook, at all.
> But I don't have a MeeGo device and my attempt to test Plasma Active
> through VirtualBox failed.

If you don't mind building, I have some steps in
http://ezjd.blogspot.com/2011/10/building-plasma-active.html, even
though it is for ARM and it is PA1. I got dependence issue when
building PA2.

Unfortunately, no much effort was put in Ubuntu+PA from both sides.
Kubuntu team has
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-p-kubuntu-active
and https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-active/+archive/ppa, but it isn't
very active now.

I will check Ubuntu 12.04 soon to see if I can easily package PA using
Kubuntu's KDE4.8 packages but it depends on how stable it is right now
and again I'll focus on ARM.

Regards,
JD