List:       kde-active
Subject:    The Plasma theme.
From:       svelanka () gmail ! com (Saleel Velankar)
Date:       2011-06-30 21:21:51

I think what y'all are doing is pretty kickass. I thought maybe since active
is a pretty big step in the shell sense, it should perhaps have some plasma
theme tweaks.

1. Translucency should be used intelligently.

I assume that all apps are going to run fullscreen, and not in a windowed
environment. If this is correct then the user has to be able to focus
completely on the application. The top panel when it is just showing the
systray shouldn't be transparent at all. Infact it shouldn't have shadows or
glossy icons. It is there I would assume to alert the user to other things
not in their focus. It shouldn't be the focus, until the user starts
dragging it down to reveal the window switcher, at which point it should be
more transparent (telling the user that the application is still present
underneath.)

For widgets that are not in focus, these should use the
transparent-backround. when the user flicks them into focus/ starts
interacting with them they should use the regular old background.svgz

2. Dark colors+ gloss+ light buttons

I love dark colors. My favorite color is #333333ff. But I don't think it
works here. for one, the oxygen theme has a lot of gloss which makes it look
rather 'heavy' to my eyes. It's silly because the interface (going by the
sebas' videos) is silky smooth. Add solid looking light buttons and the
whole thing look... I dunno how else to put it...'heavy'. Air-netbook might
be better building base? Lowering the degree of the gradients might also
work a lot better.

just some thoughts that popped in my head when watching  :D
if there is anything I can help do theming wise, I have done a couple of
themes (also am working on one now) :
http://islingt0ner.deviantart.com/gallery/28008289

--
Saleel