List:       kde-active
Subject:    Branches and packaging
From:       sebas () kde ! org (Sebastian =?utf-8?q?K=C3=BCgler?=)
Date:       2011-06-16 21:30:11

Hi,

On Thursday, June 16, 2011 18:27:18 Stefan Werden wrote:
> as far as I know you can do this in obs on an automized way. Check out from
> git or checkin something from an url.
> I don't know if this is included in the meego-obs. But this can make life
> easier for you.

Thanks for the tip. I've tried this, but it turned out to be more work, for
the following reasons:

* I've found the service-based approach to be unreliable, not sure what the
problem was exactly, but it seemed brittle, so I ended up rolling the tarballs
by hand more often than not
* When doing testbuilds, I need updated tarballs anyway. As I do testbuilds
for any non-trivial source update, I can just as well commit the result to the
OBS, without having a service pull in the source again

I guess we'll be able to move to using services at some point, currently it
seems to make the whole workflow more complex (which might be related to how
much complexity in the tools I can handle myself). With my local script (those
roll tarballs just as I want them directly from my source trees, the updating
part is pretty easy now (and it allows for both, local testing and submitting
the tarballs to OBS).

Cheers,
--
sebas