List:       kde-accessibility
Subject:    Re: How to configure Qtspeech - was configuring speech-dispatcher - festival TTS works!!
From:       Gustav Degreef <gustav97 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2019-10-04 15:34:22

Hi Folks,

I got festival to work!!  I also posted on the opensuse list, and with
their help and all the input I got here, I have a new voice.  It is an
improvement.  As Simion said, it is only in English, but it is a huge
step for me.  I will eventually try to get other voices to work.

In addition to the below steps, I found out that ESC :wq ENTER is the
right command to exit and save the crontab command I had asked help
with.  After that I used the spd-conf script repeatedly to figure out
what was missing.  In opensuse (Leasp 15) festival needs an additional
package to work -   "festival-freebsoft-utils" . I got it as a tarball from

https://freebsoft.org/festival-freebsoft-utils

The install instructions are in the readme file and were easy to
follow.  Using the spd-conf script then helped me iron out the rest of
the details.

I am very grateful to all of you who gave input in helping me finally solve this.  \
The sound of the espeak voice never bothered me.  It bothers my partner and recently \
turned off a very dear friend who first heard it.  It made me realize that it gives a \
very bad impression of linux.  I am very much encouraged by people's help, and I am \
going to try to find even bette voices.  In the process of getting festival to work, \
I saw that the code has essentially not changed in 13 years!  I recently read  an \
article on the state of the art of linux TTS, it gave me a push to find a voice that \
sounds more human and gives a better impression to others.  Thanks!  Gustav

On 9/29/19 3:53 PM, Simion wrote:

> [...]
> > it to.   Any help would be appreciated.   Some years ago, I was also stuck
> > in this place.   Is there any simple way to make festival an active
> > server?   Gustav.
> >
> > On 9/26/19 10:32 PM, Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> > > Hi Gustav,
> > >
> > > Just out of curiosity, which distribution and version of linux are you
> > > using?
> > >
> > > To answer your question though, crontab is an application that runs
> > > things at different times on a unix based system. crontab -e is a
> > > command to edit the cron table of commands. Running crontab -e and
> > > adding the line you mentioned:
> > >
> > > @restart /usr/bin/festival --server
> > >
> > > will make festival --server run at each boot of the computer I believe.
> > >
> > > Hope that helps. Another possibility according to arch linux's wiki
> > > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Festival#Can't_open_/dev/dsp is
> > > to add some lines to the festival configuration to allow it to open
> > > the /dev/dsp
> > >
> > > BR,
> > > Jeremy
> > >
> > > On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 7:25 PM Gustav Degreef <gustav97@gmail.com
> > > <mailto:gustav97@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello folks,
> > >
> > > I edited this thread some to make it easier to follow my current post.
> > > It is not directed at Simion, though his comments are helpful to
> > > make my
> > > post clearer.
> > > As a result of these discussions I have more clearly understood
> > > the role
> > > of speech-dispatcher.  Since will be used with Qtspeech, it makes
> > > sense
> > > to work with it.    So,  Perching with google   I understood how
> > > central
> > > speech-dispatcher is to linux TTS.   I tried again to configure
> > > Festival
> > > with speech-dispatcher.   I want to try and configure a different
> > > voice.
> > > I wan to try and experiment with different voices.   Espeak is OK,
> > > but I
> > > feel I have to move forward.   But again I am stuck.   Here is
> > > where I am at.
> > >
> > > I could never get speech output even on the CLI.
> > >
> > > The error I would get was -festival: can't open /dev/dsp
> > >
> > > It is due to a bug.     The workaround is:
> > > Create ~/.festivalrc with the following content
> > >
> > > ;use ALSA
> > > (Parameter.set 'Audio_Method 'Audio_Command)
> > > (Parameter.set 'Audio_Command "aplay -q -c 1 -t raw -f s16 -r $SR
> > > $FILE")
> > >

> > > I then needed to configure speech-dispatcher, so I ran:
> > >
> > > spd-conf
> > >
> > > as a regular user.  It creates the speech-dispatcher global server
> > > configuration file:
> > >
> > > in ~/.config/speech-dispatcher/|speechd.conf
> > >
> > > This configures speech-dispatcher (interactively) with a number of
> > > variables, the default voice is espeak.
> > >
> > > I then edit speechd.conf, which allows for many different

The next step .... "|We  need to run |festival| as a server in order to
make