List:       kde-accessibility
Subject:    [Kde-accessibility] Simon Question
From:       Jessica Horst <jessica () sussex ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2014-03-20 13:51:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Dear Simon team,

I am a faculty member at the University of Sussex and planing a research
study. I would like to know if Simon is the right software to use for my
study.

I study child word learning. I am planning to record an adult and child
talking about objects. (The adult will be a lab member and know not to spea=
at the same time as the child and there will be as little background noise
as possible.) The child will be about 3 years old, but I can go up to 4
years if that will be better for the software. I would like to train the
software on the adult input to the child (what the adult said) and then giv=
it the child speech. I would like an index of how similar the child speech
was to the adult speech. For example, if the adult is teaching the child th=
word =B3apple=B2 and says =B3apple=B2 12 times, when the child finally says =B3apple=B2
how similar is that word to the adult speech the child heard?

My colleague told me that speech recognition software works by having a
threshold of similarity. For example, when I tell my mobile phone =B3call
home=B2 the software compares what I said to what I have said before and if i=
is similar enough (above threshold) it will recognise my speech. I=B9m hopefu=
that I could use the same kind of principle here (how similar is the child=B9=
speech to the adult speech (what was said before), but I would want a
numerical value instead of just knowing if it was above or below threshold.

Can Simon handle child and adult speech in this way?

Thank you for your time.
~Jessica

Dr. Jessica S. Horst
Senior Lecturer in Psychology