List:       kde-accessibility
Subject:    Re: [Kde-accessibility] focus tracking
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-07-03 4:51:58

On Friday 02 July 2010 09:17:48 Piņeiro wrote:
> From: Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@gmail.com>
>
> > > In terms of "complete all this":  GS-mag supports another route for
> > > controlling its settings, namely, GConf.  Furthermore, that part of the
> > > code is in the process of being converted to GSettings [1].  The idea is
> > > that by changing a user's session wide magnification preferences via
> > > GSettings live-updates the magnifier's settings.  A concrete example is
> > > setting the mouse tracking preference in Orca's magnifier when running
> > > gs-mag.  In this case, Orca uses GConf to change the user's magnifier
> > > mouse tracking desktop preferences.  GS-mag "hears" that change and
> > > responds appropriately.
> >
> > Ok, thanks all for the responses. A couple of questions if you don't mind, to \
> >                 check I understand this properly:
> > - AT-SPI does not have a way of tracking focus for magnification purposes?
>
> AT-SPI provides a way of tracking focus in general. Not just for
> magnification purposes.
>
> > - So Gnome-Mag has developed an API for this, but it's currently CORBA based and \
> > thus needs changing
>
> gnome-mag has developed an API so other apps can use it. Yes, the
> current one is CORBA based, work in progress to migrate to DBUS. [1]

So 'other apps', does that mean Orca and other screenreaders, or does that mean EVERY \
application needs to support it for the magnification to be able to follow focus?!?

Or can any magnification tool follow focus in any app which supports AT-SPI properly? \
Sorry, I don't really know how all this is chained together....

> > - apps need to support this API for magnification to properly work
>
> This is the reason it is being implemented in Orca, as it one of the
> basic a11y tools in gnome, an it is already "talking" with AT-SPI.
>
> > So, if this is the case, I wonder what the plans are? At the very least having a \
> > standard developed for apps based on D-BUS which can be implemented by eg OO.o \
> > and Qt and KDE apps too, would be nice. I wonder if it's possible to make this \
> > part of AT-SPI somehow?
>
> I don't understand this paragraph sorry. What it is required to be
> implemented by eg OO.o? What feature are you missing?

I think I'm misunderstanding something here...

I'm mostly concerned with getting the magnification (either in Compiz, KWin, \
Gnome-magnifier or KMag) to follow focus - so does that need changes in applications \
or not? Is AT-SPI support enough?

grtz and thanks,
Jos