Brian Cameron wrote: > > Rob/George: > > The main reason for running with orbitrc configured with IPv4 turned on > is so that Java applications are accessible. Since Java supports CORBA, > but does not support CORBA over a UNIX socket, it is necessary to > turn on IPv4 for Java programs to be accessible. The LocalOnly > flag is then desirable to ensure that nobody from other machines > can use TCP/IP to connect to the ORBit server. > > I'm not sure how Java a11y will work with D-Bus. Is this in the > plan at all? Supporting com.sun.java.accessibility shouldn't be hard, but we really need with some input from people who understand how accessibility is exposed by AWT/SWT/Swing.. > I'm a bit confused by the slowdown, though. I thought that programs > that use UNIX sockets to connect to the ORBit2 server will continue to > do so even when TCP/IP is enabled. My understanding was that enabling > TCP/IP with ORBit2 just made it possible for programs that want to use > TCP/IP to also be able to connect to the ORBit2 server (such as Java > programs). Well, the slowdown occurs when you disable local sockets, so no suprise there :) Thanks, Rob > Brian > > >> i.e. an orbitrc of >> >> OBITIIOPIPv4=1 >> ORBLocalOnly=1 >> >> is roughly 10% slower than >> >> ORBITIIOPUsock=1 >> >> (on a linux system, in this case) >> >> We could test DBus over tcp (non-local) against ORBit over TCP >> (non-local), though I'm not sure how common a use-case this is. >> >> I'd expect that the numbers would get more similar between the dbus and >> orbit versus using unix sockets, as the time spent in transport would >> come to dominate. Message sizes are roughly similar between the two >> technologies and almost always would be under MTU. >> >> Thanks, >> Rob >> > -- Rob Taylor, Codethink Ltd. - http://codethink.co.uk _______________________________________________ kde-accessibility mailing list kde-accessibility@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-accessibility