On Friday 01 September 2006 09:31, Willie Walker wrote: > Related to the speech question, Orca currently uses the gnome-speech > system, which provides a service-based approach to accessing speech > synthesis engines. Orca v1.0 will be shipping with GNOME 2.16 next > week. As soon as GNOME 2.16 is out the door, we will be looking at > future support for things such as SpeechDispatcher. I believe the > ultimate goals include providing a system-wide service for speech that > can be simultaneously used by different applications and works well > across things such as GNOME and KDE. This would permit both the "self > voicing" and assistive technology camps to play well together on the > same machine. > > Will Full ack on what Will said. I would add that my plan for KTTS in KDE 4 is also to migrate to the Speech Dispatcher backend. There are a few changes needed to SD before we can do that, but I expect that to happen in the not too distant future. http://accessibility.kde.org/developer/kttsd/roadmap.html I also echo Olaf's comment that assistive technology speech and application-specific speech are not mutually exclusive. -- Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad) KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer http://accessibility.kde.org/developer/kttsd/index.php _______________________________________________ kde-accessibility mailing list kde-accessibility@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-accessibility