On Saturday 04 March 2006 02:35, Bill Haneman wrote: > To clarify my earlier comment, the reason I implied that F8 was being > suggested as a "modifier" here is twofold. One, I assumed (perhaps > wrongly) that in the absence of StickyKeys, the Control key (which is > normally understood to be a modifier key) was resulting in the access > keys appearing only while Control was pressed down. If the Control key > is being used as a "toggle", i.e. "press/release" of control turns > Access Keys on and off, then I would suggest that this violates the > usual user expectation of how modifier keys like Control, Alt, and > Shift work, and therefore is a dubious idea. This is indeed the core of the usability problem; as I explained here some time ago; http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1569 It would be great if _all_ *nix applications/environments would follow one standard, but if its a bad standard (from a usability POV) I will surely advice the hci group to use a better one. Using F8 already seems better. -- Thomas Zander _______________________________________________ kde-accessibility mailing list kde-accessibility@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-accessibility