List:       kde-accessibility
Subject:    Re: [Kde-accessibility] Question: How can I improve my app
From:       Bill Haneman <Bill.Haneman () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2005-01-05 13:29:26

Carsten Niehaus wrote:

>Hello
>
>I am the author of Kalzium (kdeedu) and have no idea about accessibility. I
>was asked on IRC to improve the situation for it to help some people who are
>handicapped.

Hi Carsten:

It's really great to hear from developers who are actively seeking to
improve their applications' accessibility.  Thanks!

The following document is GNOME-centric, but it contains a lot of
generally-relevant information I believe.  It's marked "draft" but it
has not changed in some time - it needs expansion in a few areas but
should be reasonably correct.

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/guide/gad/index.html

There is a section on 'How Accessibility Works in GNOME', and the
ongoing Qt/Atk work slated (I believe) for the next major KDE release
will eventually enable much of the same support for KDE applications.

The section "User Interface Guidelines for Supporting Accessibility" is
possibly the most immediately useful to you.  Of all the requirements,
full keyboard navigation (i.e. mouseless use) is probably the most
critical of all, since it affects virtually all users.

best regards,

Bill