List:       kde-accessibility
Subject:    Re: [Kde-accessibility] documentation of QAccessible and friends
From:       Pupeno <pupeno () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-03-05 22:55:26

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 17:18, Bill Haneman wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 21:48, Pupeno wrote:
>
> > Can you gave us an overview of the things MSAA is missing ATK has that we
> > will have to add to QAccessible and friends ?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> I think it would make more sense to ask the question of QAccessible
> (since it might not implement all of MSAA either); again, the Mozilla
> team would have more insights here since they have actually done the
> extension work.  I don't feel that I can give a comprehensive answer
> right now since at the moment I don't have ready access to the MSAA API
> docs (they unpack as windows .exe files).
>
> If you compare the ATK interface to the Qt interfaces you can probably
> find some of the differences; for instance ATK has a separate interface
> for 'AtkComponent' whereas Qt/MSAA does not; also I believe that MSAA
> only supports a "default" action for UI components whereas ATK supports
> any number of actions on a single component.  Likewise I don't think
> MSAA supports as rich a text (AtkEditableText and AtkText) or table
> (AtkTable) interface as ATK.

I think here we have a substancial diference here since there is not a single
Q object that represents one of those objects.
- From what I think, Qt Accessibility works in a more generic way not having a
class for each type of object but being the parameters of the functions of
the generic class what let's you deal with diferent types of objects.
Volker, can you please help me with this ?
If you need the atk documentation to compera, it is here:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/atk/book1.html

> Can you point me to QAccessible API documentation (other than the
> document you are preparing)?  THen I can help answer these questions for
> Qt directly.  For instance we need good documentation on the events that
> QAccessible sends and can send, etc.
The three classes involved are:
http://doc.trolltech.com/3.1/qaccessible.html
http://doc.trolltech.com/3.1/qaccessibleinterface.html
http://doc.trolltech.com/3.1/qaccessibleobject.html

Thanks.
- --
Pupeno: pupeno@kde.org
KDE Accessibility co-maintainer
http://accessibility.kde.org
- ---
Help the hungry children of Argentina,
please go to (and make it your homepage):
http://www.porloschicos.com/servlet/PorLosChicos?comando=donar