List:       kde-accessibility
Subject:    Re: [Kde-accessibility] Fwd: KDE Accessibility
From:       Volker Hilsheimer <vohi () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2002-11-28 9:34:36

Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:

> > Qt only supports accessibility on Windows AFAIK
>
> TrollTech's QAccessibility is cross-platform. It's just that no one on
> Linux has used it before.
>
> > so I doubt it would compile on Linux.
>
> Well, someone from TrollTech sent us that file...
>
> The main purpose was to have a look at the sources, though.
>
> Olaf.
>
> - --
> Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility team

The QAccessible API is cross platform, and parts of the implementation
are cross platform as well (e.g. the finding and using of the plugins,
and the plugin implementations). Some parts of the implemenation, e.g.
of updateAccessibility(), are not cross platform (because that's the
interface to the underlying infrastructure, e.g. MSAA). We have no
implementation for anything else then Windows right now.

The QT_ACCESSIBILITY_SUPPORT is triggered by qmake if "accessibility" is
a CONFIG option. On Windows, this is supported by the configure tool.
For the UNIX configure script we have nothing right now, but the idea is
to have "-accessibility" and "-no-accessibility" as configure switches
(with "-accessibility" being the default option), and if the
configuration is turned on, then the .qmake.cache in Qt (which controls
the build of Qt) includes CONFIG += accessibility, which adds the
respective files to the build of Qt (and defines
QT_ACCESSIBILITY_SUPPORT in the Makefile - this is done by qmake).

So what you have to do right now for your qt-copy is simply to add the
CONFIG+=accessibility line to your .qmake.cache, provide a
qaccessibile_unix.cpp file that implements the updateAccessibility()
API, and add this file to the qt.pro for the "unix" case (e.g.
unix:SOURCES += $$KERNEL_CPP/qaccessible_unix.cpp)

Implementing the API is obviously the interesting part ;-)

We will add all these options ASAP to Qt so that you guys can work
smoothly, but it will obviously take a while before qaccessible_unix.cpp
can do something useful.

--
Volker