List:       kde-accessibility
Subject:    Re: [Kde-accessibility] my crazy thoughts
From:       Olaf Jan Schmidt <olaf () amen-online ! de>
Date:       2002-11-27 11:58:13

[Gunnar Schmi Dt]
> [Olaf]
> > Gunnar's and my idea was to use DCOP, so the bridge could be a DCOP
> > service.
>
> Well, that was an idea before the meeting on IRC. I thought there we
> had at least decided to do the bridging within each KDE application
> (either as a pard of the KDE-core-libraries, as a library each
> application has to include or as a library that can be loaded
> dynamically).

Well, it was not really an agreement. Bill pointed out that this approach
is possible, and then we concluded that we will discuss the details on
the list.

We did not really present our approach in detail, so nobody could agree or
disagree on it.

The decision was just that there will be some kind of ATK or AT-SPI
bridge.

> I think we need to ask Trolltech to extend their
> QAccessible-architecture to something similar to the ATK-API. Then we
> can implement either of three bridging approaches:
> 1) QAccessible <-> ATK <-> AT-SPI
> 2) QAccessible <-> AT-SPI
> 3) QAccessible <-> DCOP/MCOP-AT-SPI <-> AT-SPI

True. If TrollTech does not do this, then we are back to the original DCOP
service idea anyway.

> The first two approaches would add some dependencies on GNOME libraries
> or on CORBA.

If only specific accessibility applications for KDE need to depend on
glibs, that should be OK, put having a dependency for all of KDE is very
unlike to find a majority among kde-core developers... ;-)

> The third approach would put all dependencies into a stand-alone
> DCOP/MCOP-CORBA bridge and would require the most work.

The question is whether GAP or Sun would help with the bridge.

> BTW: Why exactly is the ATK-API based on GObject? Is it possible to
> modify ATK to be able to use some toolkit-independend classes (which
> then could be instanciated through multiple inheritance from either
> GObject or QObject?)?

Is that possible in C?

Olaf.

- --