List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-accessibility] Proklam screenshots
From:       Gunnar Schmi Dt <gunnar () schmi-dt ! de>
Date:       2002-09-25 12:17:01

Hello.

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 01:06, Pupeno wrote:
> [...]
> You select the speech synth you want to use (the plug in) and then the
> language for which you want to use (some plug ins may share a list of
> languages that will only be available in the languages combo), once you
> selected both options, you press add an a tab is added at the top.
> [...]

I think it is confusing if you only display those languages that the synth
supports. (From the screen shots I would have first tried to select the
language and than the speech synth.) But the other way round (to only display
those speech synths that support the selected language) may be confusing,
too, if you display both combo boxes next to each other.

I think there are three possibilities to resolve this problem:
1. Let the user select a language and a speech synth without checking if that
combination is usable. (Maybe the "Add" button can be disabled for invalid
combinations).

2. Let the user add a speech synth. In order to select a language for that
synth, a combobox for the language can be added to the tab of the speech
synth.

3. Let the user add a language. In the top of the tab of the language is a
combo box for selecting the speech synth.

I would prefer the third possibility, but the first is ok, too. The second may
be confusing if the rest of Proklam is language-centered.

Gunnar Schmi Dt