List:       kde
Subject:    Re: doing a screen dump of KDM
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-09-01 20:08:06

On Saturday 01 September 2001 11:56, sibusiso xolo wrote:

> i tried
> #etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 /usr/bin/ksnapshot &
>
> (1) as SU (with X running) I get typically  two sets of numbers as response
> eg [1] 4198.  (And   ksnapshot is not invoked).
> (2) as SU (without X running )  I  get a 'cannot start X ' error.
>
> I am using Mandrake8  with KDE2.1.x   ( I still have not yet upgrade  to
> KDE2.2 ( the lazy side of me is waiting for Mandrake 8,1)

No, not that way.  Xsetup_0 is a script.  You need to edit it and put the
line I mentioned in it.  Try these steps:

1. open a terminal
2. Enter "su root"
3. Enter your root password
4. Enter "kedit /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0"
5. Go to the bottom of the file and enter the line I told you about:
    /usr/bin/ksnapshot &
   That's what I meant by "add a call to Xsetup_0"
6. Save the file and close kedit.
7. Log out.

When you get back to the login screen you'll get a ksnapshot window on top of
kdm. You won't be able to move it because there's no window manager at this
stage of the X startup.  Just tell it you want to grab the screen. It will
disappear and you'll need to click on the screen.  ksnapshot will reappear.
Save your file and close ksnapshot.  Now you can log in.

After you've gotten your screenshot and logged in, do steps 1 through 4 again
and remove ksnapshot from Xsetup_0 (otherwise you'll get it every time.)

--
We give advice, but we cannot give the wisdom to profit by it.
		-- La Rochefoucauld