List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] baffled about Installing kde2.2?
From:       hgg <hggreig () ozemail ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-08-23 12:55:52

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 06:49, Akar th'  'orrible wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 23:14, hgg wrote:
>
> Thanks Hamish,
>
> Good to see you back, even if you didn't reply to my last private mail
> (sniff!)
>
> The state of the RedHat and Mandrake spec files is a disgrace, I am not
> surprised you had trouble with the SRPMS. KDE is a big selling point of
> these distributions and as far as I am concerned KDE should exert pressure
> on these people to get their house in order. Other distros are probably as
> bad but RH/Mandrake are the only ones I have looked at closely.
>    Most of the new kde2.2 support issues can be directly attributed to mods
> and messes made by those distros.
> (Damn I'll get in trouble for this, last weeks issues aren't over yet, I
> have been informed that I am not allowed to have strong opinions on list,
> despite the fact that last week I was castigated for implying that opinions
> are being censored)
>   Anyhow, I find only the vanilla source tar to be reliable Hamish, it
> would be nice if we could count on the SRPMs but we cant.
> I'll be in touch off list.
>
> Andrew
I found the same too, i have disabled all the patches , modified a few setup
sections, modified all the configures, replaced all the tars with
kde-vanilla-src, changed the way redhat links kppp, disabled Brahms, renabled
lesstif static, had to use "unset RPM_OPT_FLAGS" before the ./configure of
kdeadmin then add all the switches i would normally use for source ( it kept
quitting with an error in kmail, but not if i configured clean source) and so
on and so on.
Now i have kde2.2 installed from rpms but it is infact vanilla kde.
now that it is setup it will be easier for me to install on other machines
and upgrade but what a trial it has been. And yes i could have 2.2 installed
from source 2 weeks ago but i do love a good challenge.
hgg