List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] baffled about Installing kde2.2?
From:       hgg <hggreig () ozemail ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-08-22 13:14:55

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 17:49, Akar 'th 'orrible wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:24, jc wrote:
>
> The problem is that RedHat dont do partial upgrades. With them they want
> you to basically convert your system to a rawhide 7.2 to use kde2.2
>
> They could have done it so that you only needed kde2.2 but then they would
> have to support your installation. This way you are now a rawhide
> installation and therefore support contracts etc are negated.
>
> There are other RH kde2.2 that are designed for RH 7.1 but you are best off
> getting SRPMS and rebuilding on your system, then you dont get those
> rawhide dependencies.
>
> I am compiling a proper RH 7.1 kde at the moment with prelink (30-50%
> faster) and will soon list them if someone can mirror them.
>
> Andrew

Hey Grumpy,
how are the other dwarves ?
nice to see all the fans coming out from under their rocks to support you in
your hour of need last week ;-) .
Sorry i missed all the fun i myself have been very busy compiling kde2.2 from
SRPMS . I am wondering if you also had the errors i had, eventually i
downloaded the clean src and used it with the redhat *.spec files but had a
hell of a time editing the spec files so that the build did not crap out . i
found all the redhat srpms i got from au.kde.org to be useless.
my config follows and all are optimised for athlon unless code only supports
i686
Athlon 1266 with 256MB ddr kernel 2.4.8 & heaps of disk space
XFree-4.1
qt2.3.1
gcc-2.96-95 ( and it is amatched set JRT ;-) )
glibc-2.2.3
rpm-4.03
i had also tried
XFree4.03
gcc-2.96-85
glibc-2.2.10
also with no luck

Hamish
The Janitor
ps. on a more a personal note i too have always read both your and JRT's
posts even in my recent self imposed exile after the "linux expert outburst".
the two of you always offer good advice and your humour is never
misunderstood, i can only guess who was complaining and once again state
" Ignore them and they will go away".