List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] baffled about Installing kde2.2?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2001-08-20 9:06:30

Pam R wrote:

> On Monday 20 August 2001 1:24 am, jc wrote:
> > Thanks, but this is still incomplete for me. For example, I downloaded and
> > tried to rpm -U the arts file. But that complained about dependencies.
> > There was a choice of 5 different qt files, the "normal" one complained
> > about dependencies. So I tried the static one. It wanted the devel one.
> > What a mess! This is not way to put Windows out of existence!

Oh.  I was going to mention how M$ does this.  I think it has been
called "DLL HELL".  They don't give the new versions of the libraries
different names -- no version number -- so the new ones just overwrite
the old ones.  Or worse, you have more than one version but with the
same exact file name in various directories and which one gets used is
an open question.

However, the problem you are having is a known problem with the way RPM
works.  You wind up with a Chinese Puzzle that you don't know the
solution for.  But, there is no Chinese Puzzle solution because it is
not possible to do one package at a time.

> Don't know RH, I'm running Caldera 3.1 myself, but the interdependancies
> problem with the qt rpms is welll known and easily solved - just cd into the
> directory holding the qt rpms and do
> rpm -Uvh *.rpm

A typo perhaps:

	rpm -Uvh qt*.rpm

> That way the rpm program will sort things out.

However, if you have "qt-2.3.0" and "qt-devel-2.3.0" installed and you
try to upgrade with "qt-2.3.1" I don't think things will get sorted.

JRT